Kennedy Cup Day 4 2012-06-14 13:48:00


This was going to be a long day.

We are not now going to play until 6.00pm and right now we do not know who we will play.
We still had to be up for breakfast for 9.30am. After that fellas could go back to bed or just chill on the PlayStation or whatever. Most chose to go down to watch a few of the matches and to have a look at who we might be playing this evening. We also saw Kerry beat Galway 3-1. That was a bit hard to take. We were better than Kerry. We were also better than Galway. Yet here we are waiting to see who we will play in a Shield quarter-final!
As it turned out we will be playing Inishowen. They actually finished on the same points, the same goal difference, the same goals for and against as the Roscommon League. They even drew their Group game 0-0 and so they had to have a separate penalty shoot-out to decide who finished third and who finished fourth in the Group. Inishowen won the penalty shoot-out and so we will play them this evening on the all-weather pitch.
Before that we had dinner. Again the food is just fantastic. Then we had our time, just taking it easy for the match. We had our pre-match at before four, got our playing gear and then our team meeting.
We headed to the pitch just before five. The driver of the shuttle bus went missing and so we had to ferry some of the players by car until he turned up. The pitch is fantastic. No excuses for not playing here.

ADSL 2 : Inishowen League 1

We made this one hard for ourselves. We probably played our best football of the week, totally dominated the game, but just could not put them away and needed a last minute penalty to seal the deal. Mind you we should have had three separate penalty kicks in that second half. The refereeing was again terrible. Some would even go as far as to say that it was a joke but we don't know who would say such a thing!
Anyway, we started very well totally dominating possession and territory but had to wait until the 6th minute for our first shot in anger on the goal from Ronan. Kevin and Sean McG then combined well to set up Ciaran but his shot was saved. On 15 minutes we worked a god short corner and Sean's shot was well saved with the rebound hacked off the line.
We forced a corner in the next minute. It was a great delivery to the back post, headed back across goal by Michael for James to finish high into the roof of the net for a deserved 1-0 lead. That goal cost Eddie's dad a fiver.
We were playing great stuff, totally on top. Ciaran had a shot saved at the end of a super passing move and then Sean McG did great work down the left and put in a super cross for Ronan to head just over. On 28 minutes we should have had a penalty but it was not given and just one minute later they scored.
It came from a long ball over the top. Jonn did all the right things coming out to clear but his clearance went to an Inishowen player who hit it first time into the empty net. 1-1.
The second half was barely two minutes old when we had another good shout for a penalty but it was not given. Michael then came close with a clever back header which was just saved under the crossbar. Conor then shot narrowly wide as we continued to dominate the match.
On 11 minutes we should have had a penalty when Michael was blatantly tripped in the box but nothing given. Bizarre! The ref then ignored their keeper picking up a back pass and gave nothing for a horrendous challenge on Conor which put him out of the game.
Inishowen had their first shot of the half in the 32nd minute but this game looked doomed to a penalty shoot-out until the very last minute when Michael was again hacked down in the box and even this referee had to give this one.
David came on to coolly and calmly convert the spot kick for 2-1 to finally win the game and see us into the Shield semi-final tomorrow where we will play Longford in the morning.
Spirits were very high as we went back to the accommodation for supper. It was also Cathal's birthday and we had cake and candles and the works. Happy Birthday Cathal!
We then watched the Germany -v- Holland game while a good few lads went with Seamus to the Hydro-Therapy Chamber! Very scientific!
We then had a short team meeting ahead of tomorrow's game and then off to bed for 10.30. Big day tomorrow.


Sponsors Sponsors Sponsors Sponsors