More News from u14s trip to Malta 2013-04-02 21:11:00


First, some housekeeping. In response to several enquiries we can confirm that the answer to the "Callum O'Brien" question in Sunday's Table Quiz was "a telephone"!

Think about it! "What demands to be answered but never asks a question?"

Look, they are Sher's questions! What did you expect?

Second we want to sincerely apologise for our repeated references to the good weather we are enjoying over here. Sorry Sinead! We promise not to mention the good weather again or at least not as often.

If it is any consolation it is in fact overcast this morning and with a swirling breeze. In fact I would go as far as to say that we may be lucky today to break the 20 degree mark! It makes it very hard to decide what factor to apply! We are taxed with these vexed questions several times a day here. You could cut us a little slack! It is not easy!

Anyway we were up for 9.00am for breakfast. Then there was some leisure time in preperation for today's games. A few went for a walk to the Prommenade and picked up a few bargains in the process with jerseys for half nothing. The rest just hung about the hotel until our departure time of 12.15pm to the Stadium.

The Saints are first in action in their last Group game with everybody hoping that they do well today. Com'on you Saints!


Wow !

This was more like it and how! This was a result to go with an outstanding performance. Full credit to the boys for a sensational display.

Right from the first whistle they were on the attack. From the tip-off the ball was played out wide left to Neil Macken who picked out Eoin Egan who found the over-lapping Jonothan Moloney who put in the most delicious cross which fell to Conor Lynam who hit it first time with his shot brillantly tipped over the crossbar with a stupendous save. The tone was set!

Within ten minutes the Saints were in front. Jonothan Moloney put in a great cross from the left which picked out Luke McClean who controlled the ball on his chest, turned his marker and then squeezed the ball past the keeper for a 1-0 lead. The place went mad. This was a while coming.

The Saints went on to bombard the Valetta goal. Brian Derwin had a few chances, Conor Lynam had a good shot well saved, Jonothan Cunningham, who was combining brillantly with Luke McClean dow the left, almost scored and Eoin Egan had a decent chance.

Then in the last minute of the half the Saints went two up. Johnny Cunningham played a great ball to Luke McClean in their box. Luke skipped past the last defender but was hauled down for a penalty kick. Skipper Conor Lynam buried the penalty kick low into the bottom left corner for a 2-0 half-time lead.

The Saints just got better and better into the second half. Within five minutes it was 3-0 when Brian Derwin cut in from the left and buried the ball into the far top corner for a typical Derwin goal.

Two minutes laster it was 4-0. Matthew Nally slided Ben Troy in and Big Ben made no mistake with a cool finish into the bottom corner.

Three further minutes later it was 5-0 as Luke McClean grabbed his second of the game with a super shot from distance that flew in off the underside of the crossbar.

The Saints were now on fire! Ben Troy got his second of the game when firing into the bottom corner to make it 6-0. Ben was now hunting a hat-trick. He was denied in the 24th minute of the half only by a very good save but in the very next minute when the keeper could not hold Brian Derwin's shot and Ben reacted quickest to lash the ball into the roof of the net to make it 7-0 and to complete Ben's hat-trick.

Ben had very impressive goal celebrations and is now opening various supermarkets, pubs or anything else you fancy around Malta!

Joe Carmody had a chance in the last seconds to make it 8-0 but it was not to be even if Joe did deserve a goal for his considerable efforts on the day. Overall it was a wonderful performance by the Saints. They played some magnificent football and were a joy to watch. The team fully deserved the standing ovation they received from the large party of family and friends and from the Scholars as they left the field. Great stuff and well done the Saints.

We then had a bit of a break for lunch before the Scholars would take the field for their final Group game.


The Scholars made it four wins from four to top their Group and qualify for tomorrow's semi-final with a fantastic display of just breath taking football.

The Scholars could even afford to rest Harry Cornally, Daniel Heavin and Niall Murray from the start and still record an awesome performance. Cormac Gavin and Cialan Dollard in midfield and Kevin Loonam and Kieran Colclough were just immense. But so too was jusy about everybody in as complete a display of football as anyone could wish for. It was that impressive.

It helped that they scored in the first minute. Conor Layng pinched a poor kick-out and scored into the far bottom corner for 1-0.

Ben Cox was having an unbelievable game, showing for everything, brillantly linking the play and kept the Scholars on the front foot. Some of the football was only sublime with each and every player playing a full part.

The second and third goals however came from well rehearsed set-piece moves. In the 16th minute Luke Kelly put in a super deep delivery from a corner met at the back post by Conor Farrell who headed to the net for 2-0. Four minutes later Luke K put in yet another sensational delivery from a corner which this time was finished to the net by Kevin Loonam from close range. There was, and will be, no more popular goal scorer on this trip. Well done Kev! 3-0!

The Scholars played some great ball. Cialan Dollard and Cormac Gavin were pulling all the strings from midfield ably supported by Luke Kelly, Callum and Conor Fitz while up front the combination of Ben Cox and Conor Layng was mesmeric.

The second half never scaled the same heights but was still hugely impressive. The football continued to be top notch. Conor Farrell and then Luke Kelly came close to scoring until the Scholars did add a fourth 16 minutes into the half.

Good work by Ben Cox and Conor Farrell created the chance for Conor Layng which he dutifully finished for his second of the game to make it 4-0.

There were a few more chances but no more goals but it was a very good display by the Scholars and this win saw them top their Group with four wins from four games to qualify for the semi-final tomorrow morning against Paola Hibernians. That game will kick-off at 10.30 local Malta time.

Meanwhile the Saints finished fourth in their Group and will play-off for 7th/8th position with a 1.30pm local kick-off time.

Both teams could not be happier returning to the Hotel for a most enjoyable dinner. Then all the lads headed off to the pub for the evening!

Don't worry. They only went off to watch the PSG -v- Barcelona game before retiring to bed with another huge day tomorrow.

There, we got through the whole day's report without once mentioning the fantastic weather!

Finally, we cannot finish without a huge word of thanks to all the fantastic Mums over here who have taken all the lads gear and playing gear and had it washed and dried. There are jerseys hanging over balconies all over the place drying out for tomorrow. A big thanks to all the Mums!


Sponsors Sponsors Sponsors Sponsors